Tuesday 20 August 2013

PDP Crisis: I Won’t Resign As PDP Chairman – Tukur

http://galumje.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-national-chairman-of-peoples.html The national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, has declared that he will not resign his office, advising that it is in the interest of President Goodluck Jonathan that the party get back on the track to peace ahead of 2015. PDP Crisis: I Won’t Resign As PDP Chairman - Tukur Tukur Some stakeholders including some governors have reportedly called for the resignation of Tukur to pave way for peace within the ruling party. But dismissing media reports about moves to remove him from office, Tukur said he was never under any pressure to resign as often reported in the media, noting that he was in good accord with President Goodluck Jonathan and other elders of the party. In a statement personally signed by him, Tukur said: “Let me reiterate that I am not resigning and I have no intention of doing so as an elected national chairman of PDP. I accepted to become chairman based on my conviction that I can use my wealth of experience to help my party and my country. I am not looking for anything at my age other than putting it on record that God has helped me, and then I am using the opportunities he gave me to serve the rest of Nigeria to the best of my abilities. “I will not relent in using the good office given to me by God to bring peace into the party. It is on this note that I appeal to all our members to come together to face the challenges confronting us as a party. If we must remain the strongest party that we are in Africa, it is high time we buried the hatchet and then begin to close ranks. “It is in our party’s interest and, indeed, in the interest of President Goodluck Jonathan to have us get back on the track while regaining the grooves that have been making us tick, unbeatable and widely accepted. To do otherwise is to yield the grounds to the propagandists who have been masquerading as our opponents even with the nebulous interest of getting power in 2015.” Tukur further said he was aware of the antics by “some black legs in and out of the PDP” who have been funding negative media reports on the activities of the party both at the state and national levels. He stated that such antics would amount to naught because no sponsor of such reports would go far. He said: “I had hardly settled down in office when some newspapers predicted that I would not last three months. Later, some newspapers wrote that I would resign in December. Another one said two days ago that I had been asked to resign. Well, I have spent more than one year in office and they still continue to write same and same thing all over. I really do not understand whether Bamanga Tukur is really the media problem, or the problem of faceless individuals who were manufacturing the miserable reports. “It was more ludicrous that some people funded a report that I had resigned when, indeed, I was on my way to Canada for an official engagement, and yet our so-called media bought the untruth without shuddering. Then I ask myself, where is the sense of fairness and professionalism by our media in this regard? “The problem is so bad that when members of our party meet and discuss behind closed doors, the media would say Bamanga Tukur is the issue. The media do not seem to know that we have better things to discuss in our party than issue of crises.”

No comments:

Post a Comment